Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tis The Season

Pogo, as well as Albert Alligator, Owl and the rest of the gang living here in the Okefenokee Swamp wish all our friends (and others) the very best of this season, whatever you may call it!!

Pogo 'Possum

A friendly cartoon swamp creature comments wryly on politics and philosophy. Walt Kelly, a cartoonist and movie animator, visited the Okefenokee Swamp in 1942 and was inspired to draw some "swamp critters." Pogo ‘Possum appeared in comic books in the early 1940’s and became the star of a nationally syndicated newspaper comic strip in 1949. Declaring "We have met the enemy and he is us," Pogo poked fun at the vanity and shortcomings of people everywhere. The General Assembly voted Pogo the Georgia State ‘Possum in 1992.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash and Kalamazoo.
Nora's freezing on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower Ali grew. (If I remember correctly)

Merry Christmas to us all.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Mrs.Wink, I do declare, you are either a poet, or reading my drivel has given you a touch of the DAA....oops, I mean ADD.

Bravo! And Happy Festivus,for the rest of us.

I felt twas a link,
Tween Pogo and Wink,
But I just couldn't think.....

As a poet, I stink.
Wollf

Anonymous said...

Sorry to let you down, Wollf, but that is traditional Pogo music... I didn't write it - just memorized it when I was a kid (back in the dark ages).